Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Apricot-Glazed Scallops

Chad and I are still trying hard to eat naturally and I can tell you know I have never cooked so much in my life! It's been good though because I enjoy cooking and looking up new recipes. My husband has lost 15 pounds since we started eating this way! He has had to put 4 new holes in his belt to keep his pants up :) Time to go shopping! Chad has also been swimming about 3 days a week to help with his weight loss.

While I was on my to NYC I picked up a copy of the latest Clean Eating magazine  at the airport and found a ton of recipes I want to try. I made one of them tonight. Chad ranked it a 8 out of 10. We thought this recipe would be great with shrimp too.

Apricot-Glazed Scallops

6 oz cellophane noodles (aka bean thread noodles)
1 Tbsp safflower olie (I used olive oil)
1/2 cup minced white onion
1 tsp minced fresh ginger ( I used 1/2 tsp of ground ginger)
2 cloves of garlic, minced
2 lb fresh or frozen large sea scallops (thaw if frozen)*
1 1/2 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
1/2 cup all natural apricot preserves
2 cups fresh or frozen snow peas (do not thaw, if frozen)
Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste

1. Soak noodles in very hot water for 10 minutes, set aside.
2. Meanwhile, heat oil in a wok or large skillet on medium-high.
Add onion, ginger, and garlic and cook for 2 minutes, until tender, stirring frequently.
Add scallops and cook for 2 minutes on each side, until opaque.
In a small bowl whisk soy sauce into apricot preserves. (I added some additional water to this)
Add apricot mixure to wok and bring to a simmmer.
Add snow peas and cook for 30seconds to a minute.
Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper. Serve scallop mixture over noodles.

*Healthy note: Scallops are rich in vitamin B12, omega-3 fatty acids and magnesium.

Apricot-Glazed Scallops. (2011, February). Clean Eating. p. 62.

No comments:

Post a Comment