Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Sneaking in vegetables

Chad and I are still working hard at eating naturally, avoiding processed foods and artificial ingredients. It's become a game almost to try to sneak in as many fruits and vegetables as I can into our food so that we are full after we eat and so we get the additional vitamins, antioxidants and fiber into our diets.

I like to add fresh or frozen raspberries to my yogurt for breakfast, add mushrooms and onions into our wild rice and when I am making a tomato sauce I try to add an extra can of diced tomatoes. I'm pretty much like a vegetable ninja- no one really knows how all the those vegetables could be snuck into the meal so discreetly.

Here's a side dish I made with some scallops the other night. We both loved it and I will definitely book mark this one in my recipe book. I have altered the recipe a bit from the original I found in my recipe book.

Green beans and Edemame in Lemon and Herb Sauce

Ingredients:
1 part frozen or fresh green beans
1 part frozen or fresh shelled edemame (soy beans)
1 Tb. butter
4 tsp. flour
1/4 cup vegetable stock
1 Tb. heavy cream
variety of spices to season with: rosemary, thyme, tarragon and sage. I used basil and garlic
salt and pepper
1 Tb. lemon juice

1. Cook beans in boiling salted water fro about 10 minutes and drain.
2. Melt butter in saucepan. Add the flour and vegetable stock.
3. Remove pan from heat, stir in cream, lemon juice and herbs. Season with salt and pepper to tase. Pour the sauce over the beans, mixing well. Serve immediaetly.

Stacey, J. (2001). Cookshelf: Vegetarian. UK: Parragon Publishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment